Sat, 19 Jun|
Private woodland near Great Hampden
Bushcraft immersion weekend
Have amazing time learning natural skills in the woods
Time & Location
19 Jun 2021, 11:00 – 20 Jun 2021, 15:00
Private woodland near Great Hampden, Speen, Princes Risborough HP27 0RT, UK
About the Event
An informative, fun and relaxed weekend in the woodlands of the Chilterns.
- Arrive, unpack and welcome tour
- Lunch & learn: Finding water and making it safe to drink
- Making a tripod for cooking and boiling water
- Knife skills and safety
- Making primitive arrows - initial steps
- Open fire cooking e.g. native american style trout
- Offsite visit - woodland walk
- Learn about the ID and uses of native plants and trees
- Sit stop - silent stop in the woods to appreciate nature
- Shelter building - example of a stick shelter
- Return to camp
- Finish making primitive arrows
- If desitred, test shoot your primitive arrow into a target with a homemade primitive longbow or flatbow
- Fire masterclass - learn how to create and sustain fire with natural and made made tinders and have a go at using a flint and steel and blowing a tinder bundle to flames
- This is a wild camping course in a small private woodland.
- You can bring your own camping equipment, or rent a hammock or tents from me.
- All bushcraft tools will be loaned to you as part of the course
- You'll need lunches and breakfast, head torch, warm clothing and a suitable sleeping bag.
- A composting loo is available on site
- Parking is available 1 min walk from camp
Summary: 10/10 would learn bushcraft from Alex again!
He was very knowledgeable and friendly, we had a wonderful time!
Full review: I booked a private weekend course with Alex for my husband's birthday weekend away. We're both nature enthusiasts and were looking for someone to teach us how to survive and live sustainably in nature at an introductory stage.
Alex and I communicated prior to the course and tailored a plan that my husband and I would be interested in learning. Alex offered a wide range of activities so it was difficult to choose what we could do in such a short amount of time we had! (Would definitely book him again for stuff that we have not covered in the future!).
All tools and kit was provided on site, we were shown how to use everything safely and given a good degree of freedom to experiment as well. Alex was very friendly and patient with teaching us a variety of knowledge, e.g. plant identification and uses in the woodlands, how to use tools or make items from different types of wood (we chose to make primitive arrows but there is also an option to carve your own Swedish butter knife!).
We were doing things in our own pace and did not feel like we were confined to a schedule. It was truly a fantastic weekend for the both of us.
Being out in nature has definitely relaxed our mind, body and soul, and Alex was a great guide for us! Seriously you won't regret learning bushcraft from him!